Helminths can live in the human body for years and practically do not manifest themselves in any way.
Insomnia, loss of appetite and recurrent digestive disorders are related to absolutely other diseases. The only way to detect them is laboratory tests and a complete medical examination.
How to test for parasites?
In the process of existence, parasites destroy intestinal microflora, secrete waste and toxins. These factors cause the appearance of several unpleasant symptoms.
- diarrhea, constipation, flatulence;
- weight loss with good appetite;
- increased fatigue; depression
- , apathy;
- pale skin, develops with exhaustion of the body, lack of nutrients, vitamins;
- allergic manifestations, cough, rash that start for no apparent reason;
- itching in the genital region, especially in the morning (with enterobiasis);
- decreased immunity, frequent respiratory diseases.
If you find at least three of the symptoms listed, you need to see a doctor as soon as possible and get tested.
In the body there may be not one, but several types of worms at the same time, so the doctor receives several methods of examination at the same time. This will establish the type and degree of infection.
Diagnostic methods to detect helminths:
- Stool for earthworm eggs and zest. These are the simplest and most accessible ways. With the help of scraping, ascaris and its eggs are identified. Eggs, larvae, whole parasites or their fragments are found in feces. It is not always possible to find them after the first time, as the worms reproduce at regular intervals. Therefore, they must be submitted three times in a row, at two-day intervals. After collection, deliver to the laboratory no later than two hours. Diagnosis of
- PCR (polymerase chain reaction). It allows to know with great precision about the presence of viruses, bacteria, protozoa, helminths.
- Microscopic and microbiological studies.
You can take them either at your home clinic or at a private laboratory.
If the results obtained do not allow a complete clinical picture to be drawn, the doctor sends the patient for further tests:
- Ultrasound diagnosis;
- Computed tomography.
Performing these exams will allow you to observe changes in the structure of the organs, such as compaction and enlargement. Ultrasound - to detect cysts that appear with echinococcosis. Radiography - calcifications in the shoulder girdle, lungs, liver, which are formed in the presence of the pig's tapeworm. Exams are recommended twice a year, with the exception of obvious symptoms of invasion, when immediate diagnosis is required.
How to do the parasite test at home?
There are circumstances where it is impossible to pass tests, so many are wondering if there is a way to identify worms without leaving your home. First, it is necessary to pay attention to the condition of the stool and to know the main symptoms of infection.
It is not always easy to find them, because they successfully disguise themselves as common diseases. For example, poor sleep, irritability and tantrums are associated with overwork and, in the spring, a lack of vitamins. But the reason can be much more serious, so you don't need to buy vitamin complexes right away.
The presence of an invasion can be determined without leaving your home due to several symptoms:
- Disorders of the digestive system. Most of them affect the intestine and cause diarrhea, constipation, flatulence.
- Itching around the anus. Pinworms lay eggs, crawling out of the anus, and become the cause of the itching, which a person experiences mainly at night, unconsciously combing and spreading eggs around the room.
- Allergic manifestations. The waste products excreted cause intoxication and the appearance of all types of skin rashes, diathesis.
- Malfunction of the nervous system, manifested by irritability, sleep disturbances and rapid fatigue.
- Constant nausea, weight loss despite good appetite, poor appetite.
- Frequent headaches.
- Reduced protection functions. Parasites absorb all nutrients and vitamins, causing the development of anemia and beriberi. As a result, immunity decreases, the person begins to suffer from viral and bacterial infections, tonsillitis, bronchitis, pneumonia.
Important!The toxins released by the worms negatively affect the nervous system, causing teeth grinding during sleep, nervousness, depression, fatigue, which most of the time we attribute to the constant lack of sleep and a busy day at work.
In addition, their presence affects reproductive functions. For example, women are more likely to experience inflammation and menstrual irregularities. Men of prostatitis and potency.
Signs of infestation in children:
- itching in the anus;
- indigestion, diarrhea, constipation, frequent abdominal pain;
- nails are brittle, hair is opaque, splits;
- the skin on the eyelids is peeling;
- drowsiness, lethargy, or vice versa, excessive mobility, unusual in their behavior;
- increased salivation, which is not associated with teething;
- restless, night sleep, gnashing of teeth.
These signs are the reason for an early consultation with the doctor, who will be able to diagnose and prescribe the correct treatment. Even the smallest parasites can significantly impair the functioning of internal organs.
Initial methods for detecting worms:
- Visual examination of stool.Most of the time, small worms can be seen going to the bathroom at night or at night. It is at this time that the peak of their reproduction and activity falls. If an entire parasite is found or part of it, there is no doubt that the person is sick. He needs to get medical help as soon as possible, get an exam and start treatment.
- Duct tape test.Available at your usual pharmacy. It consists of glass and transparent adhesive tape. The test is performed in the morning, immediately after waking up. Adhesive tape is applied to the anus and glued back to the glass. Then, it should be examined with a magnifying glass. Allows you to find adults or their eggs. This test is performed at intervals of 3 to 4 days, for two weeks.
Important!The disadvantage of home diagnosis is the inaccuracy of the results, because the most dangerous worms affect the liver, lungs, heart and brain.
These simple methods will allow you to find out in time if there are worms in your body and avoid serious health problems.
What tests should I do to check for parasites?
Statistics provide data that 80 to 90% of the total population suffers from the invasion. These scary numbers suggest that you need to drink anti-parasitic pills for prophylactic purposes. Before buying them, it is recommended to pass the tests and find out if the worms are really present. Taking them unnecessarily is not healthy. The infection can occur not by one, but by several species at the same time.
Therefore, there are several diagnostic methods:
- For prevention.Performed twice a year, they can detect worms in the initial phase of their reproduction. It is especially necessary to do for children of preschool and primary school age.
- Barrier.The main objective is to prevent new worm infections in people. It is attributed to children before entering kindergarten and school, employees of children's institutions, medical institutions and the food industry. Held once a year.
- According to the indications.Prescribed by a doctor in the presence of characteristic symptoms, nausea, diarrhea, constipation. They take several times to confirm the diagnosis.
They must be carried out by children and persons whose work is related to the processing of raw meat, fish, agricultural workers, veterinarians. Lovers of raw food and non-traditional cuisine, practice eating canned raw fish or meat.
Depending on the symptoms experienced by the patient, the following diagnostic methods can be prescribed:
- Scraping.Helps to identify the presence of pinworms that infect the intestine, leaving the anus for egg laying. Designed for children before starting kindergarten. Recommended in case of nocturnal itching in the genital region, sleep disorders, loss of appetite. Disadvantage: Only pinworms can be found.
- Coprogram. Feces are examined under a microscope to detect particles or helminth eggs. It allows to establish ascariasis, trichocephalosis, enterobiasis, hookworm. Accuracy is about 35%, as worms do not lay eggs all the time.
- Complete blood count.The toxins released by helminths affect the mucous membrane of the intestines and internal organs. The changes that occur are immediately reflected in the blood composition. Immunity begins to produce immunoglobulin, which is found during the exam.
Only one doctor is responsible for decoding the results obtained. Blood collection will help to establish the presence of absolutely any helminths, regardless of the organ in which they are found.
The most reliable is the enzyme immunoassay, whose accuracy is 90%.
If you are concerned about your health, the health of your loved ones and the people around you, to avoid the number of cases of helminth infestation, you need to do simple tests twice a year. They do not require special preparation and are time consuming.
The prolonged presence of helminths is the cause of organ malfunction, decreased performance and the presence of unpleasant symptoms that significantly change life plans. The sooner helminths are found, the more likely it is that the treatment will not last long and the healing process will be faster.