The human body is an ideal habitat for helminths. According to medical research, 95% of the population, regardless of age, are carriers.
Parasites are living organisms that invade internal organs, feed on cells and nutrients from the "host". They penetrate any system of the body and remain in the organ for many years or during a person's life. Some parasites do not cause significant disturbances in their host's life. However, most of them lead to the development of disturbances in the work of the host organism.
Main routes of penetration
Most parasites do not have their own nervous and cardiovascular systems. Your genitals release tens and hundreds of thousands of eggs into the environment. Larvae and eggs are resistant and remain viable for a long time.
Experts identify the following ways to infect the body with parasites:
- contaminated water and soil;
- poor food processing (eating dirty fruits or vegetables, rare meat or fish);
- contacts with animals;
- insect bites;
- close contact with the parasite carrier;
- violation of personal hygiene rules.
Types of helminths
Today, there are more than 300 species of parasites that can live inside the human body. Pinworms are quite common, parasites of medium size and up to 1 cm in length. They affect the large and small intestines.
Let's take a closer look at the most common ones:
- Pinworms.They are small parasites up to 1 cm long that affect the large and small intestines. They are able to leave the rectum at night to lay eggs in the folds of the skin and underwear. They penetrate the body with dust, dirty hands, through bed linen and dishes.
- Toxocars.This parasite is found in the digestive tract of dogs (about eighty percent of dogs and fifty percent of adults are infected with it). However, 37% of people are also carriers of this parasite. Poison eggs are excreted in the dog's feces into the sand and soil. Infection occurs through dirty hands. Worms are capable of infecting a person's eyes, lungs, heart, brain and muscles.
- Ascaris.The parasites enter the human body with food, pure water, dirty hands and are carried by flies and other insects. The worm length reaches forty centimeters. Roundworms feed on red blood cells and nutrients, affect a person's brain, liver, eyes, heart and can cause allergies.
- Hookworms.The parasite enters the body through the skin when walking barefoot or with food. The size of the worms does not exceed 1. 5 centimeters, the larvae migrate and behave like worms. A characteristic of this helminthiasis is an itchy rash on the legs and severe anemia.
- Wide ribbon.Helminths are able to live in humans for twenty-five years and reach ten meters in length. The infection occurs by eating poorly processed fish, crayfish, caviar and other seafood. Tapeworm can cause anemia, intestinal obstruction.
- Pig and bull tapeworms.Enter the body with raw meat products. The lifetime is twenty years. The danger of infection lies in the worms' ability to penetrate the eyes and brain.
- Echinococci and alveococci.These parasites enter the body through contact with sick animals, drinking contaminated water, dirty fruits and vegetables. The larvae infect the liver, lungs, bones, kidneys and lead to the development of cysts.
- Giardia.This parasite is often found in groups of children. Penetrates the body through dirty hands, toys, household items. Giardia leads to decreased immunity, appetite, memory, abdominal pain, development of allergies, nervous disorders and urinary incontinence.
Parasites in the human body constantly release various toxins. This leads to disruption of internal organs, decreased immunity, development of allergies, increased stress on the liver, destruction of beneficial intestinal microflora.
These symptoms may indicate the presence of parasites:
- disturbances in the functioning of the digestive system: diarrhea, increased gas production, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation;
- pain in the joints and muscles;
- bronchial asthma;
- anemia. Some helminths are able to feed on red blood cells;
- weight loss;
- mental disorders. Parasitic toxins have a detrimental effect on the nervous system. As a result, a person becomes irritable, has depressed states, panic attacks and so on;
- bruxism (grinding of teeth during sleep); intestinal dysbiosis;
- decreased immunity. Some helminths suppress the production of immunoglobulin A and the person is defenseless against viruses;
- inflammatory diseases of the respiratory system;
- oncology. Prolonged helminthiasis leads to the degeneration of epithelial cells in cancerous cells.
Disorders in the functioning of the digestive system can indicate parasite infestation: diarrhea, increased gas production, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation.
Sometimes the disease manifests itself as a mental disorder. Parasitic toxins have a detrimental effect on the nervous system. As a result, the person becomes irritable, has depressive states, panic attacks and so on.
There are specific symptoms that indicate a specific type of parasite:
- with ascariasis, the patient complains of dizziness, abdominal pain, nervousness, anxiety, nightmares;
- when the lines penetrate, sleep disturbances, loss of appetite, itching in the anal area, nervousness will be noticed;
- tapeworms cause diarrhea, liver pain and increased appetite. During stool examination, helminths are usually found.
If you suspect parasite infestation, consult a doctor immediately. The doctor may prescribe a comprehensive examination and effective medications to remove worms from the body.
As part of the treatment of these diseases, anthelmintics are used that can effectively destroy worms.
According to the principle of influence, they are usually divided into 2 groups. The first of these causes the inhibition of glucose entry processes in the parasite's cells. As a result, metabolic processes are blocked and helminths die.
Anthelmintics are indicated for combating various types of parasites and some for combined helminthiasis.
The second group of drugs is able to block the nerve ganglia, which causes paralysis in the worms. The duration of therapy with these funds is 3 days and, if necessary, the course is repeated.
There are herbal remedies on the pharmaceutical market to eliminate parasites. These medications help to cleanse the body of helminths and their toxins. As a result, metabolism is normalized, immunity is increased. To achieve a therapeutic effect, the course of treatment is 1 to 3 months. In addition, a special medicine is used, which helps in removing the remains of parasites from the body, protecting against poisoning by the decomposition of worms.
How to take antiparasitic drugs?
Anthelmintic drugs are available free of charge from pharmacies and do not require a prescription.Remember:Self-medication can have negative effects on your health. Therefore, only the doctor should prescribe the medication and only after the exam. After all, not all drugs are capable of affecting tape and round helminths.
Often, doctors prescribe several anthelmintics at once for complex treatments.
The following therapy scheme is used. First, a single dose of a drug that can paralyze helminths. After 3 days, another medication is used, which helps to completely destroy the worms and remove them from the body. It is necessary to follow the instructions exactly for the therapy to be effective and of short duration.
Enterosorbents are indicated during the treatment of helminthiasis. This will reduce the intoxication of the body due to the destruction of worms.
Folk remedies for the treatment of helminthiasis
You can effectively remove worms from the body at home. Just apply one of the following recipes:
- Pumpkin seed infusion.The seeds are peeled and well ground in a pestle. Pour the resulting dough into a container and pour water, you can add a spoonful of honey or jam to taste. Drink the medicine upon waking, divided into 7 receptions in 1 hour. After 2. 5 hours, a laxative is administered, after another 40 minutes an enema is administered.
- Garlic infusion.Chop several heads of garlic and pour a glass of vodka. Insist on the dough for 2 weeks in a dark place. The resulting product is taken twice a day before meals, 1 to 2 tablespoons for 5 to 6 days.
- Infusion of onions.Peel and chop the onion, then pour the warm boiled water. Let the mixture stand for 10 hours in a dark place. In the morning, the agent is filtered and drunk on an empty stomach.
It is important to remember:for effective therapy, it is necessary not only to eliminate the worms, but also to neutralize the consequences of their vital activity (anemia, allergies, intestinal dysbiosis).
Prevention of helminthiasis
It is possible to prevent worms from penetrating. To do this, just follow simple rules:
- excludes any contact with stray animals;
- compliance with personal hygiene rules;
- to exclude small children from contact with animals;
- make sure that the child does not pick up objects on the street;
- avoid eating out;
- cleans the house regularly;
- wash your hands well after you leave;
- treat vegetables and fruits with boiling water before eating;
- eat only boiled and fried meat and fish;
- drink boiled water;
- regularly consumes garlic, onion, pumpkin seeds.
An important preventive measure is the use of anthelmintics once every 6 months. Doctors advise that this course be held annually in October and March. And remember, if you suspect helminthiasis, you need to see a doctor, and not take the medicine yourself.